Tom Bergeron Reveals He’s Been Fired From ‘Dancing With the Stars’ After 15 Years As Show’s Host; ABC Confirms Erin Andrews Was Also Let Go

“How ya gonna play me like that, ABC?!”

The show must go on… but apparently not with its long-time host.

Tom Bergeron— who has hosted Dancing with the Stars since its premiere in June 2005— announced on Twitter on Monday that will no longer be hosting the ABC reality show. Judging from his choice of words, it appears that Tom was let go from ‘DWTS’ and did not quit willingly.

“Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me. It’s been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career,” Tom wrote. “I’m grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?”

When one fan responded by asking if Tom was giving up hosting duties so that he could finally be a contestant on the show, Tom replied, “Um…no.”

Tom has hosted ‘DWTS’ for all of its 28 seasons, and, by all accounts, was set to return for Season 29. In fact, just a few weeks ago, Tom posted to his Instagram account that the new season of the show was “coming soon,” (after being delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic). He even joked, “I wonder if the spray tan equipment can be refit as body sanitizers?”

When a fan asked him when rehearsals for the new season would start, Tom replied, “No clue. ‘Coming Soon’ is the extent of my info, too.”

 

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

I wonder if the spray tan equipment can be refit as body sanitizers? 🤔😷😉 @dancingabc

A post shared by Tom Bergeron (@tombergeron) on

Tom (and/or ABC) has yet to reveal why Tom was let go from his long-standing gig. Last year, however, Tom publicly clashed with the show’s producers over the casting of Sean Spicer. Last August, he tweeted that he was disappointed that the producers chose to include anyone involved in politics as part of the cast.

“A few months ago, during a lunch with ‘DWTS’ new executive producer, I offered suggestions for season 28,” Tom wrote last year. “Chief among them was my hope that ‘DWTS,’ in its return from an unprecedented year-long hiatus, would be a joyful respite from our exhausting political climate and free of inevitably divisive bookings from any party affiliation. I left that lunch convinced we were in agreement.

“Subsequently (and rather obviously), a decision was made to, as we often say in Hollywood, ‘go a different direction….,'” he continued. “We can all agree to disagree. As we do now, but ultimately it’s their call. I’ll leave it to them to answer any further questions about those decisions.”

 

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

As a host, I always try to offer support 😉 @dancingabc #throwbackthursday (with @mariamenounos and @derekhough)

A post shared by Tom Bergeron (@tombergeron) on

Although the reasons for Tom’s lay-off have yet to be disclosed, his fans were not happy to hear the news.

“I love you. You are the best.There is no @DancingABC without you. They might as well cancel it. xoxoxoxoxo,” actress Lea Thompson, who competed on Season 19, wrote.

“@Tom_Bergeron is the best in the business. And I’m sure he’ll look fierce in a glitter mask,” American Ninja Warrior host Matt Iseman replied.

“What? You are the heart and soul of the show! What could they be thinking?” one fan wrote on Twitter. “I have often said that you handle even uncomfortable situations with dry humor and class. What a loss. You are the best. Bad decision.”

ABC has yet to announce who will be replacing Tom as host for Season 29.

UPDATE! In a statement made to Too Fab on Monday evening, ABC and BBC Studios confirmed that Tom was leaving the show, and also revealed that co-host Erin Andrews was also let go. 

 

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

💓💓 @tombergeron @dancingabc @itsryanrandall @lisaashleybeauty @anitapatrickson @thefenster

A post shared by Erin Andrews (@erinandrews) on

“Tom Bergeron will forever be part of the ‘Dancing with the Stars’ family,” the statement read. “As we embark on a new creative direction, he departs the show with our sincerest thanks and gratitude for his trademark wit and charm that helped make this show a success.

“Erin will also not be returning, and we appreciate all that she brought to the ballroom,” the statement continued. “Fans have been rooting for her since she originally competed as a contestant back in 2010, and her signature sense of humor has become a hallmark of the show.”

Erin has been with the show as a host since 2014.

On Tuesday, Erin posted a statement to her Twitter account.

“Thank you ABC and the entire ‘Dancing With The Stars’ family for 6 memorable seasons,” she wrote. “Those years wouldn’t have been as special without my loving host Tom Bergerson, the talented dancers and witty judges. I will always cherish my days on that set, even if I wasn’t the best at walking in heels.”

UPDATE #2: ABC has announced that Tyra Banks will be the new host of ‘DWTS.’ Click here for more info.

RELATED STORY: ‘Dancing with the Stars’ Will Likely Have Same-Sex Couples Next Season, Says Former Show Exec

(Photos: Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images; Twitter; Instagram) 

4 Comments

  1. Tom refused to be part of their new creative direction: Tik Toking with D-listers, starring Jenelle.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.